Day 6: Bethlehem - St Catherine Chapel & St Jerome Cave

We left the Church of the Nativity through the north exit, and that led us very directly to Saint Catherine's Chapel and Saint Jerome's Cave.

Saint Catherine's Chapel

As we left a holy site, we passed by something with Saint Helena's name on it.


Upon entering Saint Catherine's Chapel, we saw a large window behind the altar and a well-lit worship space. I don't have much commentary on this site, since we had just visited the birthplace of Jesus and were about to head to the cave of Saint Jerome. I don't think I expected this site to be so close, and the cave being below this area made this a brief stop.






We headed down to the cave where Saint Jerome lived while he translated the Bible. He chose to be as close as possible to the birthplace of Jesus to carry out his task.



He is memorialized here, but I believe his body is in Italy or some other country. So this is not a tomb.





Again, I didn't say much after visiting the Church of the Nativity. But it was nice to visit this site. Saint Jerome is noted for saying, "Ignorance of scripture is ignorance of Christ." Read the Bible! If you think it takes too long, just start by reading 1-4 chapters per day. A chapter is often a page or so in many Bibles, and even at my slow reading pace, if 4 chapters take only 4 pages, then I could read that in 20 minutes or less...often less if I'm not reading footnotes and other stuff. If you read 4 chapters per day, you'll have it all read within a year. If you read less than that, it will just take longer, but you'll get there! I've had times I would take Sundays as a day that I did very little besides read the Bible and would read all of Genesis or all of Exodus, including all footnotes, and noting some other things.


We concluded our time in Bethlehem by Visiting a Shop with Holy Land Items



Comments